Friday, July 20, 2018

Week 6

This week I saw more of Dr. Brissette's cataract surgeries and clinics. While watching the surgeries, I noticed how much of a team effort is needed for the surgery to go smoothly and efficiently. If someone is running behind, it can slow the whole process down. I also noticed how important it is for the equipment to be functioning properly. During one of the cataract surgeries, the tip on the Femco blade was not working properly so we had to wait a few minutes for it to be fixed. The next day, the patient was able to recall that part of the surgery. Although it is hard to prepare for everything and things can easily go wrong, this was a great opportunity to remember the importance of realizing when a problem has occurred and being able to fix it.   

I also got to work on both of my projects some more. For my main project with Dr. Brissette, I am getting closer to being able to run statistical analysis on the Dry Eye Disease patients' data. My other study with Dr. Starr is about finding out if there is a difference in the topographical measurements of the eye with the addition of sodium fluorescein drops. This involves a preliminary image analysis of the eye using the Orbscan and the autorefractor, and then I add a drop of fluorescein to the volunteer's right eye and image both of their eyes again after 15 and 30 minutes.  So far I was able to recruit a few volunteers but we still need more. I attached an example of the topographical map below. This one is actually an image of my eye! 



I am bittersweet that my time in the city will soon be coming to an end, but I am excited to still have one week left to explore and work! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment