Friday, July 20, 2018

Week Six: Data, Climbing, and Turtles! Oh My!




This week consisted of data entry and data analysis (Figure 1). I was stuck for a while on trying to tell the code how to compare ID number from one data sheet to the next and perform calculations only for participants who were in both data sets. Thanks to two of my fellow PhD students, Nancy and Rasia, I had a breakthrough and have been able to move forward since then. I then helped input the data for frailty and cognitive assessments that I have been missing. I also witnessed part of a participant visit where they performed BIA. Next week I will continue the more in-depth analysis and wrap up my time here, although my work on this project may continue over the next few weeks while I travel.
 For cognitive testing we use the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA). This test asks participants to complete tasks such as connecting numbers and letters, copying drawings, drawing clocks, remembering certain words, and performing basic arithmetic. We then grade the assessment and determine a score out of 30 points. The higher the score, the higher the participants levels of cognition. Frailty testing involves a test of grip strength, a timed 4-meter walk, and questions are weight loss, exhaustion, and activity level. Each of these tests has a cutoff value that, if not met, counts for 1 point. The five tests are summed for a total of 5 points. A score of 0 means not frail, a score of 1 or 2 indicates pre-frailness, and 3 to 5 indicated a state of frailty. We will compare both of these scores to body composition from BIA, age, and HIV factors to better understand how aging and HIV are correlated.

Figure 1. A snippet of my data analysis code

This week I went indoor rock climbing, a hobby of mine when I have the chance (Figure 2). After climbing I visited the ASPCA animal shelter and got a tour. A small blind kitten stole my heart and I almost brought him home. I also spent a reasonable amount of time in Central Park. One day for the Weill Cornel Radiology Reception, and another day for a nice evening walk where I received free ice cream and met a pet turtle, who was out for a walk (Figure 3). This is my last weekend in New York City and I hope to go kayaking later today before the weather turns stormy for the rest of the week. I might try to squeeze in one more Broadway show before I leave too. All in all, I am ready to return to Ithaca where there is less noise and more stars.

Figure 2. Me indoor rock climbing

Figure 3. The turtle I met in Central Park

1 comment: