Sunday, July 15, 2018

Week 5

This week I have been reading more literature on my research topic in order to compile an abundance of sources for the paper we are trying to create on the study of synthetic implants vs microfracture treatment. I have learned a lot about the device and what has helped the most is seeing the device being implemented in real life in surgeries. I believe this experience has really showed me what the inevitable goal is for all the research that biomedical engineers do, and that is ultimately to improve the quality of life of the patients we treat. I really feel like this experience has showed me that I want to orientate my career towards one that is heavily based in a clinical setting that is always keeping in mind the improvement of patient outcomes. I think I could see my career taking towards a career in sports medicine, I'm someone who is very passionate about athletics and I see how there is a need for better solutions to multiple health problems that athletes face. I believe that my experience as an athlete will allow me to have a better perspective as to what kind of medical devices will be of best use to athletes, since they have a more demands than someone from the general population. As my time in New York is coming to an end, I'm incredibly grateful for being able to come to this realization. Prior to this I was having difficulty in determining how I wanted to shape my career in the future, however now I see that my possibilities really are endless. Another idea that is very appealing to me is pursuing an MD after completing me PhD. I discovered that Colombia University offers a 3 year medical program to those who have completed their PhD, which is something I have become very interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment