Friday, July 6, 2018

Week 4: Fat and the Fourth of July


Nothing quite says fourth of July week like a bucket of human fat. This week my clinician was out of town so it was a great time for me to dig in on my research project. I tried out multiple new techniques on fat samples to varying degrees of success.  My lab in Ithaca studies the breast cancer microenvironment and the differences between lean and obese patients to understand why obesity is associated with increased rates of breast cancer. My study here involves analyzing clinical samples correlated to patient BMI.  In the plastic surgery department I am fortunate to have access to patient fat samples from procedures such as breast reductions or abdominal wall repairs. This week I worked with breast tissue from a both a healthy and obese BMI range.  My research goals are to develop a decellularized scaffold from the tissue, to analyze the matrix properties, and to isolate and culture the Adipose Stromal Cells (ASC) for future cell behavioral analysis.  I attempted to isolated the ASCs for the first time this week from both samples. The process went smoothly but after 48 hours the number of adhered cells in my flasks were very low so more optimization is required.  Optimization was also required in my decell project. My embedding in parafin wax and sections didn't come out as well as it could have but the histology core helped me figure out what may have been have the problem in my tissue fixation process. It's an easy fix and I now I am keeping everything at 4 degrees C to stop any potential reactions with the formalin.

This week I worked with breast adipose samples but in the first few weeks I worked with the abdominal adipose tissue I saw collected. I have seen several abdominal wall repairs after hernias. Small hernias can be fixed laproscopically but bigger or more severe cases require the plastic surgery team to intervene and make large incisions. The first step is an horizontal incision and a separation of the fat from the underlying abdominal muscles.  The spot where the intestine is poking through is sutured together, and  techniques such as facial release can be used to relieve tension or to prevent recurrence. Depending on a circumstances of the patient an abdominal mesh could be used. These sheets of mesh can be degradable or non-degradable but their purpose is to evenly distribute tension and also act as a second barrier to prevent recurrence of the hernia. The mesh is sutured into place on top of the abdominal muscles.  After the repair is complete, excess abdominal fat is cut off, drain tubing is inserted, and the skin is sutured back together.  The drains act as a way for the fluid produced at the surgical site to exit the body and of the external part of the tube is connected to the drain collector which is used to measure patient output. The drains act as a way for the fluid produced at the surgical site to exit the body and not interfere with healing. The drains can stay in for 2 weeks or longer depending on the magnitude of the procedure and how much fluid the patient produces. This week in clinic I saw many patients for post-op drain removal or evaluation.
Figure 1: Comparison between  adipose tissue (top) and decellularized adipose tissue (bottom)
Figure 2: ASCs plated after isolation from patient breast tissue from a bi-lateral breast reduction


Life in the Big Apple
 On the fourth of July I went to the Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt island  to watch the fireworks. I also walked the high line and ate some great tacos at Chelsea Market. Last weekend we went to the American Museum of Natural History were I was delighted to see all the dinosaurs especially titanosaur who's head stuck out of the exhibit hall because it was so long. Shout-out to Jacob and Raisa for braving the heat to wait in line for Anastasia rush tickets and for giving me to chance to see to see it with them on Sunday! 



1 comment:

  1. No problem! Thanks for putting up with me when I wanted to get autographs of the actors!

    ReplyDelete